Series: Live Different: Authentic Faith in a Complex World
Theme: ‘Called to Live Different’
Sunday 9 August 2020
Connect Group Discussion Questions:
– In Luke 9:23 Jesus says these words: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.” What is God teaching you in this time about what it means to follow Him?
– Megan invited us this week to see this season of stage 4 lockdown with intention and purpose, as a time to find our hope and our strength in our God-given identity, to take hold of the call to follow Jesus in these strange times and to live different, set-apart lives, lives of blessing and peace. What is one way you are you seeking to live differently (to that of our surrounding culture) in this time?
– In Luke 9:24-25 in The Message translation we read Jesus’ words, “Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self.” How does Jesus’ invitation speak to you today?
– A leader or group member may like to lead the group in this Prayer of Surrender: Lord Jesus, thank you that you have called each of us to follow you. In this moment, in this season of lockdown, may your Spirit motivate and help us to live lives that are distinct. Give us your courage, strengthen us when we feel weary or disheartened and remind us to surrender all we are and all we have to you, daily. In your name we pray, Amen.
– You may also like to pray the Prayer of Thomas A Kempis as you close, as an act of surrendering your lives once again to Jesus. As thou wilt, what thou wilt, when thou wilt. Amen.